The Observatory is sited where it is not just because of the dark skies offered in this rural setting, but because the Society began life in 1975 when Dyffryn Gardens hosted an out-of-London meeting of the British Astronomical Association.
We also found that the Penylan Observatory, owned and run by Cardiff City Council (CCC) until it closed in 1979, had its telescope donated by a well-known Cardiff family "way back in 1906".
This telescope was earlier owned by the Rev W. Conybeare, of St Nicholas, where he was rector.
Today the observatory houses a state of the art CELESTRON 11" HD computer driven telescope. We also have a solar telescope mounted on a tripod and is used at Star Parties Observers Club.
The telescope can be use by all members of the Cardiff Astronomical Society (after an introductory training session) There must be two members in attendance for the observing session.
A Meteor detecting camera is installed which permanently monitors the sky collecting data on any meteorites detected.